After my mother passed away, I inherited her little file box of recipes. I am sharing them here for all her descendants and anyone else who might enjoy them. Most of them are quite outdated as we have access to a greater variety of ingredients now, we eat healthier and we have internet to help us! If you do use one of the recipes, I would love to have a comment on what you think of it.

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Baked Chop Suey

The name of this recipe sort of turns me off and it doesn't sound very exciting but I think the big thing back then was cooking with creamed soups - and using a lot of hamburger. If anyone comes up with an updated version, please let me know. (there is no indication of what type of rice to use but she always cooked with Uncle Ben's so maybe that is the type. I don't think it would be instant rice)


350 degree oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours

1 lb. hamburger (browned)
2 medium onions (chopped)
2 cups chopped celery
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup uncooked rice
1 1/2 cups to 2 cups water
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine the ingredients and bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 - 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

No comments: