After my mother passed away, I inherited her little file box of recipes. I am sharing them here for all her descendants and anyone else who might enjoy them. Most of them are quite outdated as we have access to a greater variety of ingredients now, we eat healthier and we have internet to help us! If you do use one of the recipes, I would love to have a comment on what you think of it.

Monday, December 22, 2008

Olive Chick-ettti

This one sounds interesting. If you try it, please post a comment.

Serves 8 - 10

1 5-lb stewing chicken
1/4 cup oil or shortening
6 cups hot water
1 T. salt
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup diced green sweet pepper
2 cups sliced celery
1/2 cup diced pimiento
1 lb spaghetti
1 1/2 cup whole or pitted ripe olives
2 cups grated cheddar cheese

  • Disjoint chicken and brown in hot oil. Add hot water and salt, cover and cook slowly until tender. Cool sufficiently to handle.
  • Skim off excess fat.
  • Remove skin and bones from chicken, leaving meat in large pieces and return to broth.
  • Cook onion, pepper and celery in a little of the chicken fat until wilted and clear.
  • Stir into chicken and broth, add pimiento and heat to boiling.
  • Add broken spaghetti. Boil until spaghetti is tender, adding more water if needed.
  • Cut some of the olives into large pieces and leave some whole.
  • Just before serving, stir olives and cheese into chicken mixture and heat slowly until cheese is melted.

3 comments:

Jim and Heather on Meerkat said...

Ok, Suzie-Q, you should be trying some of these out and posting pics of the results and Kirby's opinion... Don't make us the gerbils, oops, I mean guinea pigs.
Check out the crockpot for a day blog that I have a link to - she tells what her hubby and kids think of each recipe. Sometimes it's pretty funny, like when the kids won't touch it! :)

Suzie said...

I don't have a crockpot - yet. And my family members are supposed to try the recipes. I am too busy uploading them to my blog!

Ray and Lucy said...

I'm thinking about starting recipe blog. I'll do it in my spare time at around 3 a.m. every morning! I'm actually seriously thinking about starting one that everyone can contribute. Any suggestions on format? I do understand your time constraints, Suzie. I have a hard time finding time to blog and here I am thinking of starting a new one!